Tuesday, September 29, 2015

OUR VEGAN PREGNANCY


 

Being a mom is not for everyone, but it certainly has always been my vocation in life. I have been a mom for 6.5 years to my furry daughter Miley and 4 years to my furry daughter ClareBear. Many people laugh when I say they are my children, but those people also tend to be the ones who do not understand why I am vegan. I TRULY love ALL animals. I was told that once my human baby comes, our furry girls will not compare. I knew in my heart that would never be the case. It is not that I love Liam less than I should a human, but rather that I love animals as much as one may love a human. A living being is a living being; my children are my children. I adopted two furry children and I gave birth to a less hairy, but totally adorable, little man. I love them all with all of my heart.

My hubby and I had a vegan wedding almost two years ago, January 2014.  That certainly paved the way for our friends and family in terms of understanding what it means to be living a vegan lifestyle. Therefore, it was somewhat understood that we would also be having a vegan pregnancy when the time came. My immediate family and vegan friends were the most understanding when it came to our plans. It is difficult to understand something that you do not take the time to learn about yourself so I am sure there were many skeptics.  However, I am happy to report that compared to the comments we got when planning a vegan wedding, continuing my vegan lifestyle while pregnant did not raise many questions or negative comments, at least they never got to me. What I have learned is that the longer one is vegan and true to their beliefs, no matter what the circumstances, the better those around them understand how important that lifestyle is to them and the less they question it. 

Surprisingly enough, the most slack I got about my vegan pregnancy came from other vegans. I do not want to get into here in this blog post, but here is a link to a response video I made after some interesting yet harsh comments from fellow vegans. 

 

I created a YouTube channel, SIMPLY VEGAN,  almost a year ago, not long before we found out we were pregnant. I decided to post weekly pregnancy vlogs about my feelings, food and fitness throughout our pregnancy journey. I wanted to show others that it can be just as healthy (and in my opinion –even more healthy) to eat a vegan diet while growing another human being. Liam, our little man born just 11 days ago, is living proof that eating a healthy vegan diet while pregnant can create a super healthy, or as our midwives have said – a champion of a baby. I sincerely hope to inspire others to at least take the time to do research of their own on this matter. We do not need meat, dairy or eggs to be healthy and in fact can be much healthier without consuming animals and their by-products. 


In my vegan pregnancy vlogs I share how I not only survived, but in fact thrived during the 41 weeks of being pregnant. I share what I ate, what supplements I took, what exercises I did and more.  I always heard how difficult being pregnant can be and how uncomfortable you can get towards the end of the pregnancy. Yes, there were difficult days, but honestly, I loved being pregnant and felt fantastic up until the end, the beginning, when we met our son.   

I also share about our miscarriage that we had at 12 weeks just over a year ago. Miscarriages are common, very common, and no, it had nothing to do with being vegan. I made this video to speak up for miscarriages, they are nothing to be ashamed of.


Last but not least, I made a post-partum video sharing about our birth story. Our home birth was miraculous and my recovery was almost instant. I have heard that vegan athletes have a better recovery time because their bodies are without acidic animal products. I truly believe that my pregnancy, birth and recovery all went super well because I eat a vegan diet, the credit goes to my vegan lifestyle. We had such a beautiful birthing experience, feel free to check it out here.

 
 
I just recently celebrated my 3 year veganniversary (August 19th) and have been blessed with a beautiful, healthy little boy. I am beyond grateful for all of my blessings and happy to say that this mama is proud to be vegan. Please feel free to share my YouTube channel and to help spread the vegan love. Peace and love to you. 

SIMPLY VEGAN YOUTUBE CHANNEL 

INSTAGRAM--- simply_vegan10

TWITTER --- @simplyvegan10

No comments:

Post a Comment